Getting itchy bumps on outer vag lips? These are vaginal pimples. They have different causes but can be effectively treated with the right medications, proper preventive measures and some remarkable home remedies. Check them all out below.
In this article:
All You Need to Know about Vaginal Pimples
Itchy Bumps on Outer Vag Lips: Causes
It’s a form of eczema due to skin contact with an irritant or allergen. It involves several cases of vaginal pimples.
Common allergens and irritants causing vaginal pimples are:
- Perfumed shower gels and soaps
- Feminine hygiene products like powders, lotions and deodorants
- Medicated gels or lotions
- Laundry detergents
- Fragranced sanitary pads or tampons
- Personal lubricants, condoms or spermicides
Vaginal pimples may also happen from folliculitis, inflammation and infection of your hair follicles.
Folliculitis can occur from:
- Wearing tight clothing or that causing friction against your skin
- Ingrown hairs
- Blockage or irritation of follicles by personal products or sweat
- An infected wound or cut (maybe from shaving) allowing bacteria to spread to adjacent hair follicles
- Using an unclean swimming pool or hot tub
Also known as hidradenitis suppurativa, it’s a chronic inflammatory skin disorder of the sweat glands under your breasts and in your groin. It develops recurrent sores and spots containing pus. These don’t heal quickly, leaving scars.
Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation says that the disorder affects about 4% of our population.
This viral infection may happen anywhere on your body, including your vaginal region. It’s marked by lesions. Mollusca is tiny, flesh-coloured or white, raised growths. Usually, with a central dimple, these may appear pearly.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), this disease may last for 4 years but generally recovers within 6-12 months.
Other conditions causing bumps similar to vaginal pimples are:
- Sexually transmitted infections or STIs (genital herpes and genital warts)
- Bartholin’s cysts
- Skin tags
- Vaginal varicosities
Itchy Bumps on Outer Vag Lips: Treatment
Determining the Cause
It’s the first step to determine the right treatment. Notice the frequency of vaginal pimples and such activities, products or other factors that may affect your genital region including your hot tub and shaving usage. Also, avoid those products in contact with your genital region like laundry detergents. After symptoms reduce, gradually reintroduce your products and note down adverse reactions if any. You may even develop itchy bumps on outer vag lips during pregnancy.
After identifying the cause of your infection or irritation, stop going for such products or activities. If you shave, decrease irritation with a new blade and shave along the direction of your hair growth. Don’t dry shave. Maintain cleanliness of hot tubs. Use properly treated swimming pools and, shower thereafter. Don’t use oils on your skin to avoid trapping bacteria in your follicles.
Keep proper Hygiene
Bacteria and other microbes ideally thrive in the moisture and warmth of your genital region. Wash it regularly with warm water and unscented mild soap. Avoid harsh cleaning products which affect the pH balance of your vaginal area, causing infection. Avoid fabrics trapping moisture and heat. Choose comfortable loose clothing permitting your skin to breathe. After working out, change clothing. Change sanitary pads or tampons regularly during periods. Try the better alternative, menstrual cups.
Don’t Squeeze Vaginal Pimples
Popping or squeezing those pimples only increases irritation, pain and risks of spreading of bacteria. Infection may worsen, increasing the severity and number of pimples. Allow the pimples to rupture naturally else seek medical attention.
A warm compress heals pain and itching. Just soak your towel in lukewarm water. Then squeeze out before keeping on skin. Repeat several times daily. Restrain bacterial growth by thoroughly drying the area before dressing.
Antihistamines or topical medications can treat contact dermatitis. Oral or topical antibiotics may cure infections. Early diagnosis and treatment can control the symptoms of acne inversa. Although molluscum contagiosum commonly heals without treatment, persistent instances need medication.
Itchy Bumps on Outer Vag Lips: Prevention
- Avoid or lower contact with irritants.
- Treat any medical problems causing vaginal pimples.
- Wear loose-fit clothing and cotton underwear.
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
- Don’t squeeze or touch existing pimples.
Itchy Bumps on Outer Vag Lips: Home Remedies
Lavender Essential Oil
Its antiseptic properties can heal pimples.
- Add some drops of almond oil to 2tsps of lavender oil. Combine well.
- Dip a cotton ball in it and apply gently on your pimple. Avoid using the concentrate which may burn your skin.
- Apply for a week.
Tea Tree Oil
Its antimicrobial properties can cure your pimples and prevent scarring.
- Mix olive oil with tea tree oil similarly as above.
- Apply a soaked cotton ball around the site. Dab the pimple properly.
- Repeat thrice daily for 2 weeks. It’ll also heal the damaged skin tissue.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It contains acetic acid which destroys the bacteria that are the root cause of any pimple.
- Mix 1 cup of water with 2 cups of apple cider vinegar.
- Wash your vaginal region with it.
- Repeat thrice daily.
Its medicinal properties effectively treat bacterial and viral infections, including those of vaginal pimples.
- You can get neem oil at the market. Dab some cotton in it.
- Apply it on your pimple every night.
- Apply for 1-2 weeks. Avoid all types of processed food during the neem treatment.
You may bathe in boiled, cooled and strained neem leaves or, wash your affected area with the solution to treat your pimples. Besides, neem capsules may quicken the curing of vaginal pimples.
Epsom salt solution is highly antimicrobial to treat eczema, allergy, skin rash, acne and pimples.
- Mix well 1 cup of Epsom salt in a tub containing 3-inch deep water.
- Soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes. It’ll dry and cure your lesion.
As you can see, you can effectively treat those red itchy bumps on outer vag lips in numerous ways, right from using medications to going for wonderful natural remedies. Try them out quickly.